12 February 2010

Superlative Intimidation.

As part of my quest for employment, preferably in the education sector, I've been working on an application for Teach for America this week. A two year Americorps program, TFA is an alternative certification program for teachers who commit to working with underserved populations, particularly in urban or rural areas on the lower end of the achievement gap. Given that I really enjoy teaching, but have neither teacher certification nor a degree in education, this kind of program seems like a good option for me. So, in the midst of adjusting to the cold North American climate and catching up with old friends, I've been working on this application (necessary since it's due next week!).

Most of it has been fairly straight-forward: questions about my academic and work experience, a required letter of intent including why I want to join TFA, etc. One set of questions, found on the "Academic Information" page, caught me off-guard yesterday, in part because of the superlative used in the first line.

  • What is the longest amount of time you have ever spent pursuing a goal or interest or refining a skill?
  • What was that goal/interest/skill?
  • Are you still involved in this pursuit?
As you contemplate how you might answer these questions, bear in mind that this is not an essay prompt. The first question offers a drop down menu: less than one year, 1-2 years, 2-4 years, 4-6 years, more than 6 years. The second has a short answer line. The third, another drop down: yes, no, occasionally.

And remember, they're not asking you to highlight the goal/interest/skill that is most important to you or even focusing on that goal/interest/skill; the first question, and thus, seemingly, the most important piece of information, asks for the longest amount of time you've ever spent pursuing it. "Longest." A superlative, denoting the highest possible degree.

I couldn't answer this question immediately. In the hours I spent considering it, quite a few options passed through my mind. Two of my top considerations were basketball and my bachelors degree. But still, I wasn't sure if either of those was the short answer goal/interest/skill I wanted to highlight on my teaching application.

Finally, with the help of my boyfriend - who had no such difficulties identifying what goal/interest/skill he'd pursued the longest - I found the goal/interest/skill that I probably have pursued the longest in my life, and which also reflects well on my personal interests.

My final answers:

  • More than six years.
  • Language learning.
  • Yes.

Feel free to comment with your own response to this intimidating superlative question...

4 comments:

The Shrub said...

This does seem quite intimidating. I think that my resolution would have been "see attached resume" and let them decide for themselves! :o) Good luck with your application!

Jenny said...

Not only can I see you doing Teach for America, but I can see you being very good at it...or rather that type of thing :) Good luck!

Cameron said...

Thank you for posting this. I don't know you, but I googled that same question to get inspiration for what I wanted to post and your blog came up as one of the top hits. I too have been pursuing being fluent in a language (Spanish) for quite some time, so it was a no brainer answer for me. Yet I wouldn't have thought of it without your help. Thanks! And I don't have time to read the rest of your blog, but I hope that you got in to TFA!

Cameron said...

Hi, I don't know you personally but I wanted to thank you for posting this. I googled this exact question while filling out the TFA application to search for inspiration and your blog was one of the first hits. I too have been pursuing learning a language (Spanish) and I will be using that response. I do not have the time to read the rest of your blog, but I hope that you did get in to TFA if that is what you wanted! Thanks again.