06 December 2009

A Story.

Once upon a time there was a man called Mr. Gorilla and his wife called Mrs. Monkey. One day they went in a village far away. There was drought in that village. One day they saw a flying little and big bird. They asked the bird to give them the fruits it has carried but the bird refused. Another bird came. It gave them fruits and they thanked the bird. One day the man trapped a trap. The bird which refused to give them fruits entered in the trap. They was so happy and the bird told them forgive me and they also refused too...


Moral: Be carefull and kindfull.




This story was written - and illustrated - for me by Kyangwa Enock, my 12 (and a half!, as he always makes sure to inform me) year old cousin neighbour. For a P5 student in the far northern districts of Uganda, this story shows a significant depth of grammar and creativity (notes the English teacher in me). Of course, I should also admit that he lived and studied in Jinja until recently, so he's got quite a significant advantage on his age-mate cousins...



No comments: