08 December 2009

Solving Poverty.

Today, fourteen year old Lucy has brought the map of Africa and showed me some of the countries. We have discussed poverty, and how this is a big problem in many African countries, especially Uganda.

Lucy has told me that Libya must be the wealthiest country in Africa, while Uganda is very poor. She also has a well-formed opinion as to the reasons. Libya has much money (I explained about oil), but maybe very few people. Uganda, on the other hand, has very many people, but little money (except perhaps that which is in the hands of politicians).

And even, people keep producing more children. Every day, she tells me, she sees women who are pregnant. People this way can have so many children - even 12, even 15!

So, what will you do, I asked her? Will you produce so many children?

No, she told me, I want few.

How many?

Maybe three or four?

How will you manage it? Will you use family planning?

Yes, it is good.

But what if your husband quarrels with you?

You know, I want to study, even to the degree. Then he cannot quarrel with me. You know, men this way quarrel with these women who have not studied. But when you study, you get a job, at the end of the month, even the salary. Then you take it home and support your children. So he cannot quarrel with you.


There, from the mouth of a primary student, is the solution to Africa's poverty (or at least, I significant step in that direction):

Educate women.

Give them jobs.

Make family planning an accessible and viable option.


Lucy, whose full name is Acan Ruth Mirembe, laughed very much when I read this story to her, but she agreed that I should share it with all of you. Here, in a photo approved by both of them (it took me quite a few shots to get a proper snap!), is Lucy (right) and her seventeen year old cousin Beatrice, who shares my house with me.

1 comment:

Kaitlyn said...

This is beautiful and wise.

I have a feeling that Lucy is already affecting great change.