30 December 2009

Firsts in 2009.

  1. Celebrated the New Year in Uganda.
  2. Studied the general behaviours of maribou storks.
  3. Realised that pineapples don't grow on trees.
  4. Suffered from malaria.
  5. Danced Kiganda and Kisoga.
  6. Translated Luganda into English for someone else.
  7. Visited Kitgum and Gulu.
  8. Paid school fees for children in primary school.
  9. Received mail from India.
  10. Taught a seminar on restorative discipline.
  11. Received a chicken as a gift.
  12. Took holiday in Rwanda.
  13. Saw a crested crane.
  14. Bought earrings for myself.
  15. Got my ears pierced.
  16. Visited Soroti.
  17. Visited Kotido.
  18. Been delightedly surprised to hear my school announced as the winner of the Deanery Education Week.
  19. Was the guest of honour at a school function.
  20. Read Luganda in a public setting.
  21. Finished my first year of service with MCC.
  22. Became a vegetarian.
  23. Attended my first cousin's wedding.
  24. Bought a mac.
  25. Took a graduate level course.
  26. Visited Philadelphia.
  27. Rode a train.
  28. Rode the subway.
  29. Learnt to use Quickbooks.
  30. Received mail from Uganda while in America.
  31. Had my first second kiss.
  32. Knocked another vehicle.
  33. Changed my relationship status on facebook.
  34. Visited the midwest.
  35. Visited Goshen College.
  36. Played trivia with friends at an Indiana bar.
  37. Ate Mexican food with my fingers with a handsome date.
  38. Saw “Annie” performed onstage.
  39. Took a connecting flight through Heathrow airport.
  40. Sent postcards to random people through Postcrossing.
  41. Started learning Acoli.
  42. Experienced the intensity of the northern Ugandan sun.
  43. Lived in a hut.
  44. Learnt the rules for matatu.
  45. Drank 10 litres of water in a day.
  46. Seen normal Ugandan men wearing shorts.
  47. Ground odi [ground nuts & sim sim].
  48. Carried water on my head.
  49. Learnt to make chapatis.
  50. Was given an Acoli name.
  51. Visited Kabale.
  52. Took photos at the Equator.
  53. Got my ears pierced again.
  54. Seen goats given to the winner of a football match.
  55. Started learning Italiano.
  56. Crossed the Nile on a ferry.
  57. Visited West Nile.
  58. Eaten regularly with religious nuns.
  59. Ate bagels on Boxing Day.
  60. Bought DVDs in Uganda.
  61. Drank eggnog.
  62. Iced a cake Ugandan style.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Pineapples don't grow on trees? Really? Clearly my fruit knowledge is lacking. What do pineapples grow on/in?

Also, you didn't have your ears pierced before??? How did I never notice this? Gosh, I'm an awful friend. My apologies, dear.

Love you!

Kristina said...

Dear dear Melly, nope, pineapples don't grow on trees. They grow on short stalks from the ground. I'll try to show you pictures at some point.

And my ears: pierced for the first time in May, the second in December, both in Kampala. Don't know how you never noticed it, but I was sure you knew. I used to be entirely opposed to creating new holes in my body...

Love you too!