19 December 2009

An Advent Reflection.

Although it's not exactly appropriate for my context (except that I was quite cold much of the week down in Kabale), I recently read this poem and thought it an apt reflection for this Advent season.

Making the House Ready for the Lord.

Dear Lord, I have swept and I have washed but
...... still nothing is as shining as it should be
for you. Under the sink, for example, is an
...... uproar of mice -- it is the season of their
many children. What shall I do? And under the eaves
...... and through the walls the squirrels
have gnawed their ragged entrances -- but it is the season
...... when they need shelter, so what shall I do? And
the raccoon limps into the kitchen and opens the cupboard
...... while the dog snores, the cat hugs the pillow;
what shall I do? Beautiful is the new snow falling
...... in the yard and the fox who is staring boldly
up the path, to the door. And still I believe you will
...... come, Lord: you will, when I speak to the fox,
the sparrow, the lost dog, the shivering sea-goose, know
...... that really I am speaking to you whenever I say,
as I do all morning and afternoon: Come in, Come in.

--from Mary Oliver's Thirst.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nope, I'm just slow! I thought I had to do all this stuff to log in and comment on this entry, but I'd accidentally chosen the email icon right next to the comments link... sigh! :) so you'll get an email saying how much I like Mary Oliver!

Anonymous said...

i also love mary oliver-do you have a book of her poems? please share! gann