19 December 2009

Equator.

I long ago lost track of the number of times I've moved across the equator by road transport... usually in a bus, but sometimes in a matatu (van taxi) or car. This week, travelling back and forth from Kampala to Kabale, I stopped for the first time (twice, actually!). There are some nice art/craft galleries alongside the road, a small photo op. point, and a coffee place operated by AidChild. Near the "N/S" circles, there are a few buckets set up to demonstrate the way water theoretically spins different ways in the different hemispheres. Personally, I've always imagined it impossible to demonstrate any such gravitational effect so close (about 1 metre) to the equator itself. Since the guys offering to prove it were demanding 10,000/= (a bit more than $5), I still don't know.

But I did take pictures this time...



No comments: