01 November 2009

Poetic Insomnia.

I fell asleep with verses and metaphors running through my head last night. Still, I wasn't expecting to wake up at 4 am with those thoughts still building. The following is an early morning, insomniac experiment with structure: mostly, it surprised me to watch it flow out of my pen. Oh, and I have absolutely no idea how "The Ants Go Marching In" got stuck in my head, nor why it blended with memories of my students. [And, the random periods are space savers, not punctuation: the failure to recognise my spacing might be one of my biggest annoyances with blogger!]
.
The Ants: Morning Parade.
.
Yes, but, they are
children --
...... not ants --
and they don't
...... actually
know how to march.
.
Well,
they do. I
...... taught them --
more than once --
...... to lift their knees
in ordered rhythm.
.
But they are children,
mostly;
...... such lessons (d)evolve
into laughter
...... and amusement,
mostly directed at me.
.
So, it remains
that their marching
...... to class
is more like a fast walk
...... which lacks
specific beat.

No comments: