18 November 2009

A Personal Statement.

The following is a personal statement I wrote about six years ago for a college application. Though it shares the introductory paragraphs with the essay I submitted to Messiah, this piece was written for William and Mary College, where I was accepted, but chose not to attend.
.

I curl up in a blanket with two nine-year-old girls. As we listen to the rain hit our cabin roof, they ask me questions. “Who created God?” “Why are people mean?” “What is Heaven like?” “Why do my parents fight all the time? What can I do to make them stop?”. . .


Two weeks later, five-year-old George looks up from the jello he is eating. For a moment, he stares at me, his Bible School teacher. Then, all of a sudden, he says, “You’re really tall. You must be old.” Surprised, I pause a minute before asking him, “How old do you think I am?” He thinks for a moment, confidently responds, “Seven,” and goes back to his jello. . .


I spent my summer working as a District Crusader in the Brethren Church. In general, this meant that I spent my time traveling to various churches and camps in four different states to work with kids and adults. The moments described above were typical; there were times when I laughed at my kids and times when I cried with them. I learned many valuable lessons while traveling this summer, lessons that I can apply to life overall.


First, I learned to be responsible for everything I do and say. Spending every moment of every day with kids ranging from three to seventeen years old, I realized early on that I was looked up to as a role model. Little eyes watched me all the time; little ears were always listening. I was cool, I was old, and I was mimicked repeatedly. Just like real life, I could never take back anything that I did or said; therefore, I had to be careful that I never talked badly about anyone or did anything with a negative attitude. Sometimes, it was difficult to be so careful every moment, but I learned to take responsibility for the times when I did slip up.


Second, I learned to be patient, especially when working with younger children. One of my three-year-olds managed to spill his juice at least twice every day at lunch. Although I would have liked to strangle him or forbid him from ever drinking juice again, I chose each time to just clean up the mess and keep my cool. Many times, my kids were just like some adults; stubborn and sure of themselves, they thought they knew everything there was to know about anything. Instead of becoming upset over their refusal to follow my directions, I took the time to explain things to them, learning in the process how important it really is to be patient with people who either do not or cannot understand something.


I certainly never had a dull moment this summer. I made many memories and learned just as many lessons. As young as my kids often were, they taught me many valuable lessons that I will continue to live by even as I grow old and move on.

No comments: