23 January 2009

Inauguration Night Quotes

One of the highlights of this week was watching Obama's inauguration on live TV with some other American friends a few evenings ago (after a long and tiring day of touring). The evening resulted in some fun pics, a few rounds of Speed Scrabble, an unexpected exchange with an elderly American couple, and many more quotes...
.
"I'm really two people." --Matthew, explaining his dual citizenship
.
"Wait, the ceremony is already over. It was so short. ...Oh, we've obviously been in Uganda too long." --Post-inauguration comment
.
"I congratulate my American friends on this historic day, when u have a new president. I join u 2 celebrate this moment." --text message from David, our Ugandan MCC Programme Officer
.
"Do you know what Obama stands for, what he really stands for? If you really knew, you wouldn't support him. He stands for immorality! ...I believe in morality, but you young people, I know you don't believe in that!" --Elderly woman to friend who just finished PhD in political science and who actually understands far more about Obama's politics than her single-issue voting seems to allow for
.
Elderly man: "Killing babies is the same as killing people, you know. Murder is murder!"
Me: "Well, you could probably say the opposite as well. Killing people is the same as killing babies."
Elderly man: "No, it's not the same!"
--Unprovoked exchange with the husband to the elderly woman mentioned above, after having approached our table and making polite small talk following the inaugural festivities. We were shocked at their rude rebuke, but they stalked away too quickly for any real conversation.
.
"I think the reason why women aren't president is because we pms. I couldn't be president because I pms too drastically. I mean, the public opinion of me would be bipolar. One day, I'd be awesome, and the next, I'd be so pissed, I'd probably attack someone." --Emily H.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My dearest, these are great. And just "wow" about supporting immorality and killing people not being the same as killing babies. Oy.

Love you!