12 January 2009

Another Homework

One evening, early in the term, at the last period of the day (4:30-5:30pm), we had already sent the nursery students and P1 up to P2 home. I wasn't scheduled for a lesson, but no one was teaching in the P4 class.
.
Some of the P4 girls came and found me. "Auntie," they said, "come and teach us. Come and give us homework."
.
I let them pull me into their classroom, but once there, I protested. "I already taught you two times today, and I gave you homework before lunch."
.
"Auntie," they told me, "we already finished that work. Give us more."
.
A bit incredulous, "You want another homework?"
.
"Yes, Auntie, give us homework."
.
So, at their persistent request, I gave my P4 class another homework assignment that day.
.
I walked home that evening contemplating how much my students here desire to learn. Their innocent request for more homework (which only some of them actually completed) still makes me grin. I wonder how shocked a teacher would be in the States if a fourth grade class collectively
requested an additional homework assignment.
.
And I wonder, too, why the US education system so effectively chases the love of learning out of so many children at such a young age.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not only the US system. I think 'homework' must be one of the first 'swear' words students here learn. It just does not exist and is funny to see university students groan when I tell them it is time for homework. May you enjoy the blessing of your eager students.

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear your students are so excited to learn :)
What a blessing that they are not distracted by the things that the more affluent nations have to compete with for the mind ! That is all about choices, though, b/c I know many students here, including my own, who still love to learn ! :)