23 January 2009

"And these are our white sisters..."

The above statement was used by the leader of a group I was with to introduce me, two other white women associated with MCC, and the male MCC service worker seconded to his programme. I was hungry, tired, hot, and already annoyed when the statement was made, so my reaction was probably greater than normal, but that one would offend me even on a good day. I confronted him about the statement away from the group but seemed to only confuse this man about why his introduction would bother me. After all, we are white, and the oil tycoons he was introducing us to had asked "who are the whites?" That I should feel excluded was an utterly foreign thought to him. That I wouldn't appreciate being pointed out as different and special and treated as his own special property also slipped through the cultural translation gap. The next day, I processed my feelings about this experience a bit more in my journal.
.
Oh how it irks and frustrates and annoys and tires me to always be noted as different, special, outside. Mostly, I shrug off the children constantly pointing and calling out. But day after day, to always be so obviously different--is indeed very difficult. And made so much worse when it is someone we are working with, an adult who as had extensive experience with bazungu, who chooses to point out and make issue of our difference. Coming from someone in authority, that makes me feel even more excluded, even more outside, even more different, and with no hope of ever being conceived as just another person. This has been one of the more difficult aspects about spending this month in Hoima.

In my village, I have become a member of the community, part of the congregation, just one of the teachers. Walking through Bukoto, people regularly greet me and call out to me, but they do so knowing me, knowing my names, knowing where I live and what I do--they don't just single me out and make assumptions and call out to me because of my skin colour. I look forward to returning home--yes,
home--to Bukoto soon.

And I look forward to returning to the US, where I won't always be different, won't always stand out (at least for my skin colour), and won't always have to act and speak on behalf of everyone who is white, while also having to fight and react to layer upon layer of stereotypes about whites. In short, to be sincerely honest, I do sometimes look forward to returning to the anonymity of being white in a society where white is still the majority. It's just easier.

To always be identified not as an individual personal self, but as a representative of whites in general, is exhausting and overwhelming. It tires and frustrates me, and while I can usually let it slide off my shoulders like water, it is not so easy when I am already tired, sick, uncomfortable, or feeling lonely. It is difficult to just ignore the sense of exclusion and being outside the group day after day after day. Sometimes, it makes me want to retreat, to hide, or, as in this case, to directly confront the one who adds that final heavy straw.

Being experienced first, most, and primarily, as "white" denies me the ability to be known as an individual, as me, as Kristine Nakaweesi Amooti. It takes away part of my identity, stripping me of any claim to self-hood, and reducing me to a single physical quality (and
that not even one I would have previously considered a core component of my personal identity).

I have been thinking, and this came up a bit in conversations as we watched the inauguration, that perhaps this is somehow like the experience of blacks in the US. To always be identified as "African Americans," never just as "American." We discussed it in terms of Obama, who will always be known as the first
African American president of the US. He will never be measured in history primarily by his gender, political party, or personal history, but first and foremost, always by his race.

I have heard African Americans saying before how marginalising it is to always be considered not first as an individual, but as a black. To feel as if they are always having to speak on behalf of all blacks and to fight against layers and years of stereotypes that whites hold about them simply because their skin has a darker pigmentation. How they wish for the chance to be known first, mostly, and primarily as an
individual person.

Granted, I am not disempowered here in the ways that many blacks still are in the US, but I think I am getting at least a bit of the sense of the experience of being on the opposite side of the social majority. It is not that I necessarily want to become black, though somedays, I imagine it would be easier if it were so. Really, it would be nice to walk down the street and not be singled out automatically as different and strange.

Regardless of how well I assimilate into my community, how fluently I speak Luganda, how confidently I learn to wear a gomesi or dance the traditional dances--I will still always be considered and labeled immediately as different. In that way, I think the challenge and frustrations could increase the longer I live this way.

I dream of true diversity, of multi-cultural integration, where each and every person is respected and valued and experienced not only or primarily as a member of this or the other group, but rather--and foremost--as an individual person.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Challenging and inspiring. I pray that your thoughts will be taken seriously by all who work for better race relationships.

Anonymous said...

Tina, you have a pet name too, and one that is very complimentary! I have mixed feelings about all this. Even animals know and react differently to a stranger in their midst. I smile when half a dozen children dance and and gleefully shout "muzungu" as I pass, when a toddler hides in fear, when a wide-eyed 3 year old in a Kampala taxi looks me over and decides I would be a better guardian of her new white doll, and when I am followed by shouts of "Obama, Oye!" as I cross the New Taxi Park. I am different, and I might just as well accept it. To the people in the villages between Hoima and Masindi I think I am the old man with enough to spare to repair some boreholes.

Anonymous said...

You're doing some deep processing, Kristina. We are socialized in the US to believe that our personal, individual identity is hugely important. Is it, though? Why does it matter that others see us as we want to be known? I had an interesting exchange recently with an friend in the Us about identity--I raised the topic in an email and she wrote back. I was thinking of group identity, clan, family, tribe, nation, while she went the direction of personal identity as woman, daughter, mother, wife etc. We never did really connect on the topic. It would be interesting to do a Bible study on how Jesus thought about/talked about identity. I agree with you that you are learning what it's like to be a minority, to not be part of the dominant social group--it's wearying. But I'm not sure God is calling us to fit in, to be like those we are sent to live among--it seems we grow more spiritually when we are "in the wilderness". It's hard work, we grow weary, but if we retreat permanently to the place where we "fit in", where no one calls out to us about our differentness, then where is the friction that God can use to prune us as branches that bear much fruit? Of course we need to retreat at times, to be alone, away from those who name our difference, just as Jesus did. But then we return, and we focus on our shared humanity, our oneness as God's children, and we love and are loved by those we live with so that the external differences can fade. You have come a long way on this journey, and I praise God for your example to all of us. Love you! Gann

Laura said...

You took the words right out of my mouth. I feel like somehow I belong here in India, but I still draw so much attention even just walking down the street. No matter how long I live here, I will always be a foreigner. It's a very difficult reality to live with. Just know that you're not alone!

Kristina said...

Dear friends, and Mr. Anonymous,
Thanks for your comments and encouragement. My identity is being constantly changed and transformed by this experience, and overall, I think it has been, and continues to be, a beneficial and maturing experience. It is helpful to know that I am not alone in this journey of figuring out who I am and how I fit into the world--white skin and all. In some ways, I think it is very good to live for awhile in a place where I am distinctly and obviously different. Because, after all, wherever we are, we're all different and have ways in which we greatly stray from the "norm"... but too often, we can pretend those things away... it's good to be reminded of and forced to think about and consider them every now and again.
And Mr. Anonymous, thank you for the work you do. Webaale muno.
-Kristina

Anonymous said...

As I read, I was thinking: What do you really want - to be known as an individual person or to simply be part of a community? And I think Gann expressed the idea better than it came out of my mouth.

I want to cover up my white skin while at other times I might as well just be white because I will never look Khmei. At times I am frustrated by jokes about how I am the "koun barang" (white daughter) and at other times I just want to hug Ma for telling the other women, "Of course she can wear a sarong. She's a woman just like us."

I have been thinking too and conversing with other people in the office about what it must be like for those who live in America who do not have European backgrounds. For all the great expectations placed upon it, the US is not perfect. I try to remember that every time my memory of it makes it better than it really is.

I love you!