06 January 2011

Pop Up Insomnia.

Sometimes, when I can't sleep, it's because my mind is racing, anxious, agonising over some specific happening(s). Other times, like last night, it's more calm, less distressed, just... well, as if my thoughts were those annoying little pop ups that crowd my desktop when I choose to visit heavily advertised websites.

*pop* *pop* *pop*

One thought, to another, to another, all night long. Almost falling asleep, maybe dozing for a bit, then, *pop*, another absolutely trivial bit of information demanding my attention. Sigh.

*pop* *pop* *pop* *pop* *pop*

It feels a bit like this...

[When you cut a blueberry muffin, you have to cut it just right. Or else you get blueberry blue-ness all over your knife and plate and fingers. I wonder if you can cut it just right? *spend next few minutes envisioning blueberry muffins (with extra berries) and attempting to figure out the perfect knife angle* Why would you cut a muffin in the first place? Just eat it...]

[I wonder if I should include a proposed schedule of topics in my syllabus that I distribute the first day of class. Maybe I should instead just survey students to see what cultural topics they'd like to discuss, then create my syllabus. But I already wrote the syllabus. I think it's okay that I keep the proposed schedule. I'll just point out my prerogative to make changes. I probably shouldn't use the word "prerogative". I need to add "technology" to the schedule...]

[I have cute/professional black shoes. And I have decent walking brown shoes. Do I have any brown shoes for being cute/professional? *contemplates shoes, realising most are for warmer weather than this* I wish summer were here already...]

[*imagines a disordered pile of multi-coloured, multi-sized pieces of paper* *imagines organising paper by size, smallest in front* *imagines knocking pile of paper against desk to align bottom and right edges* Sigh...]

[Dr. H. sent us the booklist last night. I already bought the books, though not the coursepack. I wonder if we have to read anything before the first class. But the syllabus isn't posted yet. Maybe I should just keep reading for Dr. S.'s class at this point...]

[It's almost 7. If I get up at 7, I can see the sunrise through the front (eastern) window. I think I'll get up now...]

*pop* *pop* *pop* *pop*

That was your brief sampling of my mind in intense insomnia mode. Time to do some work before I need a nap.

No comments: