16 December 2010

Scattered Thoughts.

It's snowing outside. And by "snowing," I mean that all surfaces appear to be white. It wasn't snowing this morning when I decided to bike to work and school. It is snowing now. And it does appear that the snowing will continue through my class and commute (walking my bike) home. I'm trying to convince myself to appreciate the beauty which is softly falling snow.
.
A few hours from now, I'll have completed the last class of my first semester as a graduate student. About that, I feel ... meh? I've enjoyed one of my three classes this semester, felt a bit disappointed by the other two (including the one that still claims this evening). I'll keep writing and reading and working over the "break," so as nice as it will be to take a couple weeks off from attending classes, my life won't be that much different. I'm looking forward to next semester, though: I've got some really interesting (for me) classes potentially lined up.
.
I'm facilitating a holiday party tomorrow afternoon. At the library where I work on Friday afternoons. With the members of my conversation group, "Let's Speak English!" Good people, good group. I'm looking forward to the party - and potential cornucopia of tasty ethnic treats (although my Russian friends are disappointed by my "no vodka at the library" rule). I admit: I'll miss my LSE group over the holiday season, and I'm looking forward to starting up again at some point in January.
.
Also starting in January: I've been officially hired as an "Intern Lecturer" at a university-level English language program. I'll be teaching an elective class entitled "American Culture & Conversation." To be honest, it was an exhilarating feeling to write my own syllabus a few days ago! How's that for the resume?
.
Goal for tonight: finish preparing Christmas cookies for tomorrow's party.
.
Goal for the next couple weeks: lots of background reading for my spring courses (and for my academic discipline in general), figuring out how to balance (potentially) four part-time jobs and a full-time course load, and submitting a book review for publication.
.
Oh, and talking myself into enjoying the snow.
.
That last one might take the most work of all...

No comments: