24 June 2009

These Have I Known...

These Have I Tasted....
  • the sweetness of matooke as a daily food.
  • the gritty dry season dust which covers everything.
  • the savour of curry, tomatoes, and onions: our basic spices.
  • the smooth pleasure of soda from a glass bottle.
  • Kajoba's chapatis: the best around!
  • the taste of a three year old's kisses.
  • water boiled over a wood fire.
  • the rare indulgence of dark chocolate melting in my mouth.
  • fresh passion fruit on a sunny afternoon.
  • the tart flavour of unripened mangoes.
  • groundnuts planted with my own sweat and labour.
  • hot tea made from our garden: warmth on a cold night.
  • posho and beans, posho and beans, posho and beans.
These Have I Smelt...
  • the slight sweetness of dry season dust.
  • sauce cooking on a charcoal fire.
  • "jinga" (ginger) steeping in the tea flask.
  • the newness and life of a freshly bathed infant.
  • pre-adolescent boys herded back into the classroom after lunch hour football.
  • rubbish burning by the road side.
  • breads and cakes at Tuwereza bakery.
  • meat hanging from the butcher's hook.
  • the feverish sweat of a body racked by malaria.
  • vegetables rotting in the market.
  • rain approaching from the east.
These Have I Heard...
  • forty loud voices competing to greet me as I enter a classroom.
  • my brothers' humorous attempts to speak English.
  • children calling to me from the roadside wherever I go: "Bye, Auntie Muzungu."
  • incredulity at how non-fragile and non-weak I am.
  • the comfortable sound of my mother's voice after a long day of work.
  • a young baby's cooing and gurgling.
  • the cries of children being beaten.
  • the drums beating a kiganda rhythm.
  • my students singing at holy mass.
  • the strangeness when an occasional Americanism escapes my lips.
  • the pleasant joy of old friends and family members on an international phone call.
  • the call to prayer from the mosque loudspeakers.
These Have I Seen...
  • the sudden lakes and rivers created by an afternoon downpour.
  • toothless grins and smirks as nursery schoolers race to greet me first.
  • the smartness of a shaved head, polished shoes, and school sweater.
  • babies growing and developing before my eyes.
  • my students heading off to secondary school.
  • the devestations of war and of development.
  • the delight and pride when a student notes his/her own improvement.
  • children discussing the meaning of a rainbow.
  • the horizon filled with stars peaking over the latrine wall.
  • the strength of women who carry families and communities on their heads and backs.
  • the hollow emptiness of water tanks during the dry season.
  • the awing beauty of an equatorial sunset.
  • the anxious way people scan the skies for rains that should have come.
  • love in my friends' eyes.
  • the hungry look, dirty feet, torn clothes, and long hair of poverty.
  • committed teachers struggling on behalf of their students despite untold challenges.
These Have I Felt...
  • the uneven ridges of dirt floors in my classrooms.
  • small and dirty hands grasping my own.
  • loving embraces as my brother welcomes me home.
  • the itch of jiggers, mosquito bites, or caterpillar hairs on the soles of my feet.
  • the weight of my backpack laden with a day's worth of water: 2-5 litres worth.
  • the awful power of a rainy season deluge.
  • the painful heat of a motorcycle burn.
  • the weight of a hoe in my hands as I dig in the garden.
  • the wind in my face and hair as I ride to town.
  • the tiredness of a long week of work.
  • chalk dust drying out my hands after every lesson.
  • the quick sharp pain of the piercing gun.
  • the press of bodies in the market and bus park.
  • the bone-jarring speed of public transportation.
  • my brothers' soft cuddling.
  • a baby's fuzzy curls.
  • the slickness of my hands and soreness of my arms on laundry day.
  • the agonising pain of new intestinal guests.
  • the shocking chill of a pre-dawn bath.
These Have I Known...
  • love and sorrow.
  • delight and fear.
  • pride and frustration.
  • comfort and confusion.
  • joy and anxiety.
I have loved and been loved,
known and been known,
seen and been seen.

Bukoto, I will always carry you in my heart.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I loved this and it made me teary a bit! My list would include: having read the poetic prose of my friend Kristina!