27 March 2009

Birth Announcement

As of 4:50 am on Thursday, 26th March 2009, my host family is one member larger. I have a new, as yet unnamed, baby sister. She weighed 3.5 kilogrammes at birth, is already slightly darker than me, and has beautiful black curls all over her head. She and Maama came home from the clinic last night and are sleeping on a mattress in the dining room for the next couple days. It will be for Taata to name her the next time (maybe?) he comes home, and I don't know yet when she will be baptised with her Christian name. Until then, we call her "Baby" or try out other names to see if they fit. She is beautiful, quiet, and the cause for many visitors. Three year old Micheal is absolutely delighted at the concept of a baby, but has to be reminded frequently not to roll on her when he is playing and laughing.
.
And in case you wonder why I never mentioned this before, I honestly didn't know that Maama was pregnant. She thought that of course I had realised this and was only pretending not to know. But truly, honestly, sincerely, I was oblivious. Which is now the cause for much amusement all over Bukoto and the neighbouring villages. I don't mind so much, though, because I have a new sister.
.
Note: in case you didn't know, I am the oldest of 5 biological siblings, and at last count, I thought I had 13 more in my host family (make that 14 today), but I am still thrilled at the thought of another. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My dearest Kristina, I did have to chuckle that you didn't realize Maama was pregnant.....but mostly because I imagine that I would have done the same thing.

I love you!