17 December 2008

But I Don't Dream in Colour...

[this is taken directly from my journal].

10-12-08 12:35pm.
.
I just woke up from another dream which suggests that my dream world doesn't consider Rexville [where my grandparents live in New York, USA] and Bukoto [the village in southern Uganda where I currently reside] to be so far apart. In this one, some aunt and uncle--not sure who and can't remember their names, but I half-recognised them, just as I do every time I go to Lewis family reunions. They were driving from New York to visit Heatwoles in Virginia, and they had room in their mini-van, so they gave Melissa a ride here. How Uganda is on a driving route between Rexville and McGaheysville, or why Melissa was in NY in the first place were not relevant questions until I woke up. As I was talking to this aunt about some mundane topic of American life, who should wander down the hill (our compound isn't actually built on a slope), but Amber. Stan and Diane had stopped, too. I returned to the house to find a large contingent of my Lewis cousins eating matooke and beans side by side with my brothers and sisters. Strange wonders from this scene: Maama was not at all surprised by their presence, had enough food for all these extra people, and was letting guests eat on the floor with our family. When I asked Maama if they knew what they were eating, she said no, but they seemed to be enjoying it. The last thing I remember is me saying, to the great amusement of my Ugandan family, "Tugenda kulya ensenene"* and not translating into English. Oh, the strange wonder of dreams.
.
.
.
.
*In English: "We're going to eat grasshoppers."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

funny :) and interesting how our experiences collect themselves in our subconscious mind !
Lots on your mind, obviously !