25 November 2008

Oyina emyaka ameka?

Directly translated, the above reads, "You have how many years?" and the question is as much asked by the tone of voice as by the ending question word. Less literally, it means, "How old are you?"
.
Today marks my 23rd birthday, but I celebrate this birthday with less fanfare than probably any previous. In my community, people don't really seem to celebrate birthdays, except for the very old (to live long enough and healthily enough to have white hair is quite an accomplishment around here). I think some of them would have wanted to make me the exception, but I accidentally (on purpose) didn't really tell them about my birthday until, well, this morning. Not that knowing the date would make much difference. Yesterday, my little brother celebrated his 3rd birthday... I reminded Maama at tea that it was Pito's birthday, so she gave him a 100 shilling piece to buy a piece of candy with. That's the way of things around here.
.
But, I did enjoy reading all of the birthday wishes I found in my email and on facebook. Plus, as is typical for a Tuesday morning, Father Peter brought me mail this morning. I haven't had a chance to open all the notes (and am saving some for the coasta (bus) trip to Kampala tomorrow), but please know that some of your birthday cards did arrive precisely on time. One parcel that I have opened contained a wonderful present... a book of poetry by Mary Oliver, who I have discovered (from flipping through a few pages) writes beautiful and thought-provoking verses. I had somehow forgotten how much I love poetry, how my mind sometimes slips naturally into verse. In the midst of marking exams, preparing reports, and otherwise being busy with the difficult task of teaching English, this book was, and will continue to be, a refreshing breath of cool air in the middle of an unseasonably hot afternoon (it's supposed to be raining right now, but we're in the midst of a week plus drought... bleh.).
.
And tonight, to continue the non-celebratory birthday, I'll be sleeping over in town with my new and wonderful friend Rebecca, who loves to cook experimentally just as I do. And who, as we talked about mutual American friends a couple weeks ago, remarked, "sometimes, the world feels really small." Yes, indeed, it does. Especially at moments when one gets to enjoy the company of and/or the well wishes of people that one love around the world all on the same day. Today, the world is small, and I am blessed for that.
.
Oh, and just so you know, most everyone I know will still tell me I'm lying when I tell them my age. After all, I couldn't possibly be so young ;) [Would I be so amused if people in America regularly told me that I looked at least 30, if not 40? Hmmm...]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you !! :)
Now you have snail mail, email, facebook, and BLOG wishes, too !
Grandma wishes you the best of days, and says, "where did the time go ? " I will take your news over to her :)
Just talked to your mom. briefly, and the news of the day is Melissa had a shower at the Grottoes house = wow !! They are there, and thinking of you today, too ! Sure you will connect later.

lots of love :)