18 November 2008

How do you measure a year in a life?

Note: I don't know the reference for the following verses (which Melissa included in the wonderful book she gave me before I flew across the ocean), but in my head, they're always set to music, so I have a feeling that they're probably from a song. Forgive the lack of credits...
.
Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes
Five hundred twenty-five thousand moments so dear
Five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes
How do you measure, measure a year?
-
In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights,
in cups of coffee, in inches, in miles,
in laughter, in strife
-
In five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes
How do you measure a year in a life?
-
How about love?
Measure in love
Seasons of love
.
A couple weeks ago, during a student debate at school, while I was serving as the "English Doctor," I penned the lines below, inspired by the poem/song above.
.
How do you measure a year in a life?
In sunsets,
in rainstorms,
in laughter,
in tears,
in longings,
in memories,
in fever dreams,
in lessons,
in empty ink pens,
in new clothes,
in power outages,
in tea times,
in hot mugs of sweet milk,
in mistakes,
in happy faces,
in groundnuts shelled,
in prayers,
in debates,
in tan lines,
in dances,
in trips to Town,
in visits to friends,
in journals filled,
in long distance phone calls,
in shooting stars,
in cloudy nights,
in new vocabulary,
in picked accents,
in hugs,
in sweets,
in fried grasshoppers,
in late nights,
in tired mornings,
in glass bottles of soda,
in steps,
in plans,
in burial rites,
in introduction ceremonies,
in progress reports,
in pda statements,
in visa applications,
in taxi rides,
in cooking lessons,
in welcomes,
in departures,
in verse,
in letters,
in exams marked,
in snaps,
in sunny days,
in habits formed,
in laundry washed,
in hair styles,
in callouses formed,
in cobbled shoes,
in utensils cleaned,
in bars of soap,
in litres of water,
in generosity,
in gratitude.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

My dear, this is a beautiful post.

And the song is called, "Seasons of Love," and it's from the musical Rent :).

Kim said...

I concur with Alicia on both points. I wish I had the same wisdom as you do. Though maybe I had better wait until the end of my year to write a poem of my own.

Glad to hear you're still alive and well. Greetings and Love!

Cynthia said...

I'm singing the song as I read your posts! I love the words you've penned about measuring the "glorious year in a life" in Uganda! And, let me add a glorious Happy Birthday to you as I celebrate a year in your life from across the globe!