25 November 2008

Overheard in an internet cafe...

A little while ago, there were two guys sitting on either side of me in the internet cafe. I didn't actually speak to them, but was greatly amused by their American accents. Midwest, if I had to guess, though I didn't actually ask them where they were from. They spoke with a bit of a twang, using terms that have long since escaped my vocabulary. And as they checked the weather for Amsterdam and Chicago, they used phrases like "snow showers," "below freezing," and "cold," all of which are foreign to my current experience. I don't even know their names and will probably never see them again, but I felt a bit of instant connection even as I laughed (to myself) at how strange their accents seemed to me.
.
And to all of you American friends and family, just wait, you too will eventually get the chance to laugh equally much about my accent (provided you speak to me within the first couple months after I return to the US, as it's unlikely to last beyond that).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will relish talking to you at anytime - no matter how difficult it may be to understand you.