23 October 2008

Njagala nnyo nnyo ensuwa!!

Intended to make some of you grimace and others grin, the translation reads:
"I very very much enjoy white ants [fried of course]!"

These flying ants, which I think might be related to termites, come out after the rains. The birds love to catch them as they take their first flights, but unfortunately for the birds, the children often grab them just as they emerge from their holes. Some people eat them fresh, still squirming, wings and all. I've tried them that way, but they seem to lack flavor. Personally, I prefer them fried :) Given the abundance of rain we've had the last week or so, I've gotten to enjoy this treat multiple times.

To my impending visitors from the US: don't worry (or get too excited), you won't get to enjoy this treat in the dry season.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm definitely part of the grimacing group on this one. Blech! I think this would be a good time for me to hide behind the excuse of being a vegetarian. :-)

Lowie said...

WELL we wished you were there too!!!

Cynthia said...

I'm glad you are liking them....or even if you are pretending because honoring the traditions and practices of the community is so crucial.Proud of you....and still grimacing.

Proudfoot said...

Oh my gosh, how fantastic is that!!! Heck yes for tasty insect creatures...although they might not enjoy the experience quite so much. Maybe you can dry a few to save for a couple of months...
Bon appetite!

Anonymous said...

I think that is neat and saw a show on tv that they showed the people catching the ants and eating them (both fresh and fried) thought of you as I was watching.