23 October 2008

The Beauty of Random Comments

From the Head Teacher, on Monday, as I was holding Gloria, the month old baby daughter of one of my colleagues: "Nakaweesi, when are you going to produce?" (They used to just ask when I was planning to get married!)

From an older man, after I had kneeled to greet him, to my mother, who thankfully translated from Luganda (to my amusement and embarassment): "You have a very polite mzungu daughter. Shall I bring a cow, and my son can marry her?"

From the Head Teacher, yesterday, as I was drinking water: "Nakaweesi, you're addicted to water!" I almost choked on my water, then laughed. But it's true... I drink about 3-5 litres of plain water per day, more when the sun is shining a lot, while my friends drink maybe one cup.

From Maama, Tuesday evening: "Christine, you're such a good drunkard!" Not to worry folks, this one was also in reference to how much water I drink :)

From Muta, my seven year old brother who is learning English, a few weeks ago: "Nakaweesi, is your sugar clean?" He was referring to my tea and meant to ask if I had enough sugar. This one has been the cause for much teasing and laughter ever since.

From Buyondo, my co-teacher in upper primary English, also a few weeks ago, referencing the spelling and pronunciation of terms that refer to objects brought by the colonists: "We lugandacise the spelling." And it is such a perfect term!!! For example, "shirt" is "essaati" in Luganda... and "cup" is "ekikopo".

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

These are so fun! It is almost impossible to imagine your experience, but these comments provide a glimpse. Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

Only one cow? If I was going to marry you, I would give more than that!

Keep laughing, my friend. It's good to share these with others.

Kristina said...

in zambia, i was worth at least six cows (probably more now that i've finished university)... but here, it seems that the cow/goat/chicken giving is more dependent on the man's financial status than on the woman's net worth... not sure which system i prefer ;)