22 July 2008

My New Home...

As I have been compiling medical forms and studying for my online TEFL certification class, my contacts in Uganda have been busy figuring out where I will be living for the next year. Dale and Gann, the MCC reps based in Kampala, recently sent me some information about my host family (apparently, they visited Bukoto last week).

I will be living with the Katongole family ("pronounced kah-ton-gol-eh with the o sounding like the English words 'tone' and 'goal' and the accent on the second syllable"). Mr. Joseph Katongole is a businessman who spends most of the week in Kampala. Mrs. Janet Katongole keeps the house and family in order while he's away. They have 9 children: 3 adults who've finished university, 3 at various secondary (boarding) schools, and 3 still at home. They living in Bukoto trading centre, about a kilometer from Jude Junior School, where I will be teaching. I'll have my own bedroom, toilet, and bathing area (with rainwater)... and electricity whenever the power happens to be on. Gann writes, "We think you will be very comfortable there--Ugandans are very hard to persuade that a visitor should not have the very best!"

Some of my family: Michael, Janet, and Aloyisius.



A picture of my house with Dale, Aloyisius, Michael, Janet, Gann, and Father Peter Paul (the parish priest in Bukoto):


The last few days have been filled with many goodbyes, as friends and family send me forth into the great unknown of East Africa. The sadness of saying goodbye is soothed a bit, however, by the joy and excitement of meeting (through pictures and email descriptions) people I will soon know very well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your family and home look wonderful! I'm sure you'll love your family. My Ugandan family was the best part of studying abroad! Anyway, it sounds like you've got an incredible adventure ahead. Don't forget to take american spices to add to the rice and matoke-it'll be a lifesaver later on (if you have the space). Anyway, have a great couple last two weeks at home

Becca MacVaugh