21 June 2010

So many books... so little time.

I used to have a t-shirt with the title phrase on it. A gift from someone who knew me well in my adolescence. For as long as I can remember, I've loved reading. To find me without a book, especially during my elementary and middle school daily bus riding career, would have a ridiculously improbable expectation. There were points, perhaps around 5th and 6th grade, when I had to have at least two books in my backpack at all times -- because I would read, on average, about a book a day. Then I started to discover thicker books, with pages numbering in the upper hundreds: those might sometimes take a few days. Suffice it to say, my love for reading was instilled - and nurtured - from a very young age.

Given this fact, it should not surprise you that I am absolutely positively thrilled about my summer job!

What is this amazing assignment, you might ask?

Well, let me tell you about it :)

About a month ago, I was hired by the Institute of Reading Development to teach - wait for it! - summer reading enrichment classes. I've spent most of the last month studying curriculum, reading fantastic pieces of juvenile literature, and preparing to teach. Most of it was "distance training," which involved a lot of individualized study and long conference calls.

Training ended a week ago, though, and the first term of the summer program started on Saturday. I had my first set of classes yesterday at the University of Delaware. First graders in the morning, then fourth & fifth graders in the early afternoon, and middle schoolers for my last group. I came home exhausted, but I had a great time. [And though some of you might think I'm crazy, I still hold that my favorite age group to work with is that slightly reluctant middle school range.]

One day, three (out of eight that I will teach) levels taught, one long check-in with my supervisor, and one phone call to a frustrated parent into the term, I am still absolutely thrilled about this job. I mean, how couldn't I be?

I'm back in a classroom, which I'm realizing more and more is exactly where I belong. I'm teaching reading, which is something I personally love. I get to work through great books - Fellowship of the Ring, Banner in the Sky, Henry Huggins, Cricket in Times Square, The Stories Julian Tells, Where the Wild Things Are, just to name a few - with kids who really identify with the characters and connect with the story. I really like my supervisor, and I've got a great curriculum to work from. I'll be teaching across a variety of levels - my eleven classes range from preschoolers all the way up to adult professionals. I'm adding some new skills - reading level assessment and speed reading techniques - to my repertoire. And, starting tomorrow, I get to spend half of every week (for the next five) in Mechanicsburg, teaching classes only a few miles away from my alma mater.

Speaking of Mechanicsburg, I'm headed that way tomorrow. Seven (large) boxes of books and other materials are packed and sitting by my apartment door, waiting to be loaded into my car tomorrow morning. My lesson plans and teaching materials are piled up on my desk, about to slide into my backpack. My books are studied, notes written, and I'm excited about meeting a brand new set of students and parents.

[For any of you that might be interested: these are reading enrichment classes, and enrollment is still open. Visit http://readingprograms.org/ and type in your home zip code to learn more. And if you're in the Mechanicsburg/Grantham/Harrisburg area, know that I'd love to see you [my adult class has lots of empty space] or your child(ren) in one of my classes!]


I'm getting paid to teach reading. I've pinched myself, but I keep waking up and finding this to still be true. In case you hadn't noticed, I'm absolutely excited about this :)

No comments: