01 October 2009

audience participation requested.

When I explain what I do in Uganda, or sometimes as soon as they hear that I've been living in East Africa, a lot of people assume that I'm a missionary. "Oh, you're a missionary?" My usual response: "No, I'm a teacher." I don't think of myself as a missionary; I don't consider what I do in Uganda to be missions work; and I don't generally think of MCC as a missions organisation. But it's difficult, at least somehow, for me to explain in words why this is the case.
.
It's been coming up more and more lately, though. So, here's the challenge I'm undertaking for myself: to reflect on this word, "missionary," and try to put into words my connotation of it. Hopefully, like with so many other subjects, such introspection will eventually lead to a blog entry, and I'll share my thoughts with all of you...
.
As I begin this intentional quest to know myself more fully, here's my request for the readership of this blog: share your thoughts on the matter. Offer your reflections on what "missions work" connotes. Consider answering the questions below: please share with me either by posting comments here, by sending me an email, or in a face-to-face conversation.
.
-What do missionaries do?
-What makes someone a missionary?
-What do you consider the main goal of missions work?
-Do you think of me as a missionary? Why?
-Do you consider MCC a missions organisation? Why?
.
Thanks in advance to the many of you I hope will undertake this reflection with me...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Episcopal Church has a program called "Education fo Ministry" or EFM. This 4-year program is not, however, intended for clergy. Rather, EFM is meant for lay people. Both the program and I believe that all people, ALL, are called to ministry in some form or another. Whether or not you label your everyday ministry as "missions" work or just "work," isn't what matters. What DOES matter is that your work--whatever it is--remains an honest service to others. I'm currently reading a book by Barbara Brown Taylor called "An Altar in the World" and she tackles this situation with which you are struggling. It's a light, non-preachy read and I've found it very affirming and enjoyable.

And another note: some of the greatest "missionaries" I've ever met aren't Christians or religious at all, for that matter. They're just people who care about someone other than themselves. Anyone, no, everyone is capable of that.

Unknown said...

In my mind, the word missionary will probably never be redeemed. When I used to tell people that I worked for MCC, I always defined it as a "Christian/Mennonite relief and development organization." The word "missionary" and "missions" will always evoke in my mind pictures of colonializers (which probably isn't even a word) attempting to push both Christ and Western culture onto another culture which up until then has been doing just fine without the missionary. I'm sure that there are places where this isn't the case, but still, in my mind, I can't escape that image.

With all that said, I don't see either you or MCC in the "missionary paradigm." Yes, what you and MCC do may be "in the name of Christ," but to me that only speaks about the intention behind the actions. The actions themselves could be done by anyone, Christian or otherwise.

So, I didn't really formally answer your questions, but maybe that gives you a general idea of where my thoughts lie. We can speak of these things more when you make your rounds in Northern Indiana! I love you!