10 September 2009

Geometrical Formulations

"Tutor."
.
It's a role I've played for years in numerous guises. As a junior and senior in high school, most of my income came from tutoring. Pre-Algebra, Algebra, Geometry, Trig, Pre-Calculus, Biology, Chemistry, Latin, English: I not only helped with homework, but also re-taught material covered in class, helped prep for tests, and previewed upcoming concepts.
.
In college, I worked for a private tutoring center, expanding my repertoire to include Physics, Religion, SAT prep, and ACT prep. All of this to say, I think I've got a fair bit of tutoring experience under my belt... and it also probably demonstrates well that I enjoy tutoring!
.
Anyway, that's not what this blog is really about.
.
Actually, I wanted to share about one of the more exciting parts of today [warning: some of you will think me entirely bizarre for enjoying this, but...]: helping my fifteen year old sister with her Geometry homework after supper tonight.
.
As a high schooler, or actually, as a middle schooler, I hated Geometry. It was the first time I hadn't (intuitively or otherwise) understood a math class. I was still one of the more advanced students in the class, but, like Physics, it was too conceptual and spatial for me. I did obviously learn most of the concepts, enough that I could do well in the class and even tutor the subject a few years later, but I neither understood nor enjoyed Geometry. Math was always my favourite subject, but Geometry I certainly could have done without!
.
In college, years removed from the last math class I took (AP Calculus, as a junior), I found myself once again tutoring Geometry (and Physics...). As I studied the high school books and retaught the same concepts multiple times over the course of every week, Geometry finally clicked for me. Seven years after I took the class myself, I finally felt like I understood its most basic concepts.
.
And then, tonight, the moment that brought on all of this random reflection: I took a nap before dinner and came downstairs to find that my family had finished eating. As I warmed up some tomato soup and made myself a salad, I half-listened to Dad helping Rachel (my really-close-to-15-year-old sister) with her Geometry homework. A few seconds after I sat down across the table from them, Rachel read me the problem that was pestering them both [Dad would surely have figured it out quickly had he not been taking post-surgery pain medication...].
.

"Each figure above shows noncollinear rays with a common endpoint. Write a formula for the number of angles formed by n noncollinear rays with a common endpoint."
.
As Rachel quickly read the problem to me, all the words rushed over my head and my own high school feelings about Geometry quickly came back: ahhh! I pled the kind of confused tiredness that comes in the first few (or thirty, if you're me) minutes after waking up, and I started eating my supper.
.
.
But of course, like any other time that I get a problem into my head, my brain started processing it. I stole a look at the problem in the Geometry book, then started to doodle on a napkin. "What are you doing?," Rachel asked me. "Just trying to figure out the pattern," I helpfully explained. My napkin soon had columns of numbers like this:
.
1 = 0 = n - 1 = n - n
2 = 1 = n - 1 = n - (n - 1)
3 = 3 = n = n - 0
4 = 6 = n + 2 = n + 1/2n
5 = 10 = n + 5 = 2n
6 = 15 = n + 9 = n + 1.5n
.
Slowly, slowly, and as Rachel gave me numerous "you're so weird" glances, I started to see the pattern... and the formula emerged:
.
n - [(3-n)/2]n = no. of angles
.
So then, the easy part: explaining it in terms that a fifteen year old beginning Geometry student could understand! I showed her the formula, mostly explained how I got to it, let her copy it into her notebook, then made her "check" it against all five of the figures shown above. I also told her she should probably tell her teacher she had help; otherwise, she'd probably end up pegged as the "Geometry whiz kid." She told me not to worry: she was sure nobody else would solve the problem either and that her teacher would surely go over it in-depth. But, could she please take my napkin in to show her teacher?
.
.
It feels good to play with numbers again.

2 comments:

Proudfoot said...

Beautiful! Numbers are the nectar and ambrosia of life. I am glad you can be reminded of their sweetness again...and again...and again. Just remember to tell your siblings to keep the maths coming.

Unknown said...

I think I just vomited a little bit after reading this. Seriously, the last math class I took was in 11th grade, and I've never looked back.

But hey, I'm glad that there are people like you in the world who can think like that. That's one of the many reasons why I love you!