20 April 2009

Breaking the Slump.

From my journal...
.
Night comes early in these "winter" months, and we are without electricity again tonight. It strains my eyes to write by the low light of the paraffin lamp, but I want to write tonight. No, more than that, I
need to write. I need words to flow through my mind and pen. I need to see the ink making sense on the page. This writing slump has gone on too long--I haven't written, not really, in weeks. I have been increasingly restless of late, a feeling which is surely both a cause and a result of my not writing. It's been in my mind to write; multiple topics have meandered their way through those winding corridors, especially when I'm walking or traveling. But mostly, the words have been caught somewhere in the haze of a developing cold and my sense of restlessness. I need to break through it for the sake of the ache in my soul.
.
This evening, playing with the kids and then watching the stars rise, I felt the haze raise a bit, and so, I am trying now to write. I hope this one comes out decent, not obviously forced, because it has been beautiful in my mind these last few days. Perhaps better written on a breezy afternoon, it has instead been relegated to this dark night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've written a lot lately. Well, a lot for me. But I also feel the slump. I can't figure out if it is the heat, the too many days of holiday, the monotony, or just a phase of life. But I'm stuck. These are the times I need good friends to talk to. The times when they remind me that their lives are still continuing with ups and downs all over the world. And in the changing of seasons or the constancy of the weather, there is beauty to be enjoyed in life. Soon, we will be elsewhere and we will regret the moments we wasted wondering about the future.