08 May 2009

How Long Will It Take?

Between Masaka, Uganda, and Phnom Penh, Cambodia, mail usually takes at least a month.
.
I think it's the same cost as to the US, but I usually send longer (and thus, thicker) letters to Christa, so Geoffrey makes me pay extra postage. He's gotten used to the fact that I have friends all over the world, and he's the one responsible for making sure that y'all always get fun and interesting Ugandan stamps.
.
This week, I thought Christa might like a letter with Rwandan stamps.
.
But, boy oh boy, did I ever confuse the clerk at the Iposita in Kigale city center. 28 grammes meant I had to pay extra, but I was surprised at how much extra. Since I can only say about three words in French (okay, maybe five on a good day), and the clerk didn't know much English, she proved it by showing me the rate chart. But then, the real confusion began. Cambodia? Where is that? I think she thought it was a state in the US... because she wanted me to write "America" below the address. I tried to explain that it was actually near India--so then, she thought I should add "India" to the address. I finally agreed to write "Southeast Asia," but I'm still not sure if she realised that Cambodia is actually a country.
.
Then, using the rate chart that was still sitting on the counter, I pointed out (or tried to, at least) that a 28 gramme letter to Asia should actually be 25 francs cheaper than one to North America. She let me pay the lower price, but ten stamps later (Emily took a photo as proof), it had enough postage to reach the US. I gave up.
.
I wonder how long it will take an orange envelope with ten stamps to meander its way from the "foreign letters" box in downtown Kigali to the MCC office in Phnom Penh? And how many countries will it visit first?
.
Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if it makes a pit stop in Canada.

No comments: