28 February 2009

This one's for Facebook folks.

So, after being tagged multiple times, I've finally written the "25 random things about myself" that people seem so curious to read. I'll post it on facebook also...

1. I regularly cross the equator by public road transport.
2. I have an unappreciable skill at hosting tropical parasites (though I'm healthy right now).
3. My eyes frequently change colour, switching and mixing shades of brown, grey, and green.
4. I enjoy learning new languages and seem to have some skill at it.
5. My most recent favourite authors are Barbara Kingsolver, Jodi Picoult, and Ishmael Reed.
6. I sometimes have poetic spells, where my mind naturally thinks in verse (which can be quite annoying at times).
7. I look forward to and greatly appreciate the rare times I get to bake in an oven.
8. I can communicate on a basic conversational level in Luganda, the Bantu dialect spoken in the Buganda region of central Uganda.
9. My commitment to hydration has gotten me labeled a "drunkard" more than once.
10. There is an MCAT review book on the floor beside my bed.
11. I can analyse poetry academically if required to, but I generally appreciate it for simply "the way it sounds."
12. I am somehow quite picky about my journals and the pens I use to write in them, though this has decreased in recent months.
13. I really like eating fried ants and fried grasshoppers as snacks during the rainy season (and yes, I know how to prepare them).
14. My decisions sometimes seem spontaneous, but I really tend to deliberate about them for an extended period of time.
15. I made homemade chips (french fries), chocolate fondue, and guacamole for the first time while hanging out at a friend's apartment last month in western Uganda (and also ate guacamole for the first time).
16. I currently have 5 names, and use different pairs of them to introduce myself to different people, but these days, I am most often referred to as "Auntie Christine Nakaweesi."
17. I've learned to count it as a compliment when people tell me how wonderfully "fat" I am.
18. Once I make a decision, I stop asking "what if..." questions and simply "live into it."
19. My regular planning calendar is hand-drawn on brightly coloured papers.
20. As a child, I periodically contemplated becoming any or all of the following: an author, a children's illustrator, an orphanage director, a farmer, a teacher, a mad scientist, a pioneer, and a hermit.
21. My Ugandan English has reached the point where I unknowingly shift "l" for "r".
22. The sight of my (longish) blonde hair in the mirror sometimes shocks me.
23. I am generally assumed to be at least in my mid-30s.
24. I learn best by seeing and writing. Don't trust me to remember something you tell or teach me if I only hear it.
25. I belong to the ente (cow) clan, so I am not allowed to eat frogs.

No comments: